No Such Thing

Stop standing in the middle of the highway! Think for yourself and get out of the path of that oncoming semi. Waking up to reality can be painful.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Medieval Meatpies

Last weekend I experimented in the kitchen after reading the website Gode Cookery. I made 2 large medieval meatpies drawing from the basic recipie. I cheated using store bought deep dish crusts, but the rest was fairly authentic.

These are the ingredients I used:

1 1/2 lb beef stew meat
1/2 lb pork
1/4 lb chicken breast
6 dried figs
12 dried dates
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped nuts (mixed)
8 egg yolks
1 cup red wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp nutmeg


I boiled all the meat first in a 2 qt pot with just enough water to cover it. After the meat cooled, I ran it all through a food processor to grind it down to almost paste. (there were still some shredded bits in it) I transfered the meat mush to a very large bowl, then ran the dried fruit in the processor to coarsely chop it. I then mixed the dried fruit and meat with the egg yolks, wine, and nuts. It still seemed too dry, so I reduced the broth from boiling the meat down to about 1/2 cup and mixed it in too. The pie crusts were pre-baked and cooled, then filled to the top will the meat mixture. I didn't put top crusts on the pies so they are a bit dry. The pies cooked at 400 for about an hour, the last 15 minutes I put them on the top rack to brown a little.

They turned out fairly well, sort of like sweet meatloaf. One of my coworkers said the presentation needed work, as the filling looked like Alpo. They tasted better with a bit of mustard when hot, but were ok when cold. I wouldn't add figs next time, the seeds made it taste gritty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home